Dr Eduard Grebe
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Eduard is a postdoctoral research fellow in the CSSR and Department of Sociology. His current research interests include:
- Civil society activism on AIDS;
- Transnational social movements;
- Politics of welfare policy-making in Africa (see related project).
Tel: +27 21 650 5158
Rm 4.29.2, Leslie Social Science Building
University Avenue, Upper Campus
University of Cape Town
Private Bag, Rondebosch 7701
- 2014 First Semester: SOC1001F/SOC1006F (Introduction to Sociology)
- 2014 Second Semester: SOC4010 (Theories of Development)
Consultation times: Wed, Thu 12:15-13:30
Grebe, E. & Low, M. (2014) "New forms of transnational organisation on access to medicines: The global activist response to the imatinib (Glivec) case" (to be presented at the XVIII ISA World Congress of Sociology, Yokohama, Japan, July 2014).
Grebe, E. (2014) "Understanding the impact of civil society mobilisation on HIV outcomes: methodological challenges and evidence from cross-country regression analysis" (Pre-print available on request).
Pre-prints of some papers available on SSRN author page.
Grebe, E. (2014) Civil society and the state in Uganda's AIDS response. CSSR Working Paper 341.
Grebe, E. (2014) Technocrats, donors, and the politics of welfare policy-making in Uganda. (Presented at CSSR Workshop on Welfare Policy in Africa, Cape Town, May 2014; Available on request).
Grebe, E. (2012) Civil society leadership in the struggle for AIDS treatment in South Africa and Uganda. PhD Thesis, University of Cape Town, December 2012.
- Grebe, E. & Nattrass, N. (2012) "AIDS Conspiracy Beliefs and Unsafe Sex in Cape Town" in AIDS and Behavior, 16(3), pp. 761-773. doi:10.1007/s10461-011-9958-2.
- Grebe, E. (2011) "The Treatment Action Campaign's Struggle for AIDS Treatment in South Africa: Coalition-building Through Networks" in Journal of Southern African Studies, 37(4), pp. 849-868. doi:10.1080/03057070.2011.608271.
- Grebe, E. (2009) "Contingency, contestation and hegemony: The possibility of a non-essentialist politics for the left" in Philosophy & Social Criticism, 35(5), pp. 589-611. doi:10.1177/0191453709103428.
Chapters in books
- Grebe, E. (2010) "Negativity, Difference and Critique: The Ethical Moment in Complexity" in Cilliers, P. & Allen, R. (eds), Complexity, Difference and Identity (Springer, Amsterdam).
- Grebe, E. (2009) "Contingency, contestation and hegemony: The possibility of a non-essentialist politics for the left" in Mike O'Donnell (ed.) Structure and Agency, Volumes 1-4 (Sage, London).
Working and occasional papers
- Grebe, E. (2013) Book Review: "Against the Odds: Politicians, institutions and the struggle against poverty" by Melo, Ng'ethe & Manor, Developmental Leadership Program.
- Grebe, E. (2012) Book Review: "Transformative Political Leadership: Making a difference in the developing world" by Robert Rotberg, Developmental Leadership Program.
- Grebe, E. (2012) "Global advocacy in an era of resource constraints and shifting global priorities". in Bulletin of Medicus Mundi Switzerland, No. 125, September 2012.
- Grebe, E. & Woermann, M. (2011) Institutions of Integrity and the Integrity of Institutions: Integrity and ethics in the politics of developmental leadership, Research Paper 15, Developmental Leadership Program.